Thursday, October 6, 2011

Thirsty Thursday: Real Hot Chocolate


   With the onset of fall and the cool evenings I have really been craving hot drinks.  I tried making hot chocolate the other day but the cocoa based powdered mixes just don’t seem to cut it.  So, I set out on a search for a solid “real” hot chocolate recipe.  Mine is adapted from this recipe.  I couldn’t bring myself to make it with half & half like they call for, but I’m sure it would be even more tasty. 

2 ¼ cups milk (I used whole)
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate-chopped
2 ounces milk chocolate-chopped
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon instant coffee or espresso powder

Heat milk over medium heat until just below simmering.  Remove from heat and stir in chocolate.  Once it is melted, add the rest of the ingredients and whisk thoroughly.  Reheat a bit if needed, then serve. 
While this is lovely as is….here are a few tweeks just for fun.
-add a shake of cinnamon or cayenne for some extra heat
-add 1/2 a shot of your favorite liqueur, such as creme de menthe, irish cream or Frangelico. 
-add a spoon of Nutella
-use flavored chocolate such as orange or raspberry 

No comments: