Thursday, October 13, 2011

Thirsty Thursday: Gluehwein (Glue what?)


   I don't know about you, but I'm always interested in trying the traditional foods that represent my heritage.  Being predominantly German on my father's side, I saw this and thought I'd give it a whirl.  It is a unique twist on mulled wine, which just seems right this time of year.  It is based off of this recipe, but since I'm a lightweight, I modified it to suit my tastes.  This fills your home with the loveliest spicy aroma, you simply must try it.

1 Bottle (750ml) red wine
2 Cups orange juice
1 Orange, cut into thick slices
1/2 Cup sugar (I used turbinado, but white works fine as well)
4 Tablespoons honey
1 cinnamon stick
10 whole cloves
1 Allspice berry

   Mix orange juice, sugar, honey and cinnamon stick in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow it to simmer.  Stick your spices into the orange slices and place them in the saucepan.  Allow to simmer for approximately 30 minutes, or until fairly thick.  Add your wine and allow the mixture to heat through until steaming.  Pour into mugs and drink!






2 comments:

Natasha in Oz said...

I can't wait to make this at Christmas time! Please have a big cup for me!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Claire said...

I'm so glad you liked it!