Friday, April 1, 2011

Friday Flix - My Neighbor Totoro


As long as I can remember I have loved animals and pretty much all things cute.  I also have quite an active imagination.  Knowing this, many years back Hubs introduced me to the wondrous world of Hayao Miyazaki.  All of his films have a certain wonder about them, but My Neighbor Totoro is my favorite.  The story is about two girls and their father who move to the country to prepare a new home while their mother is overcoming an illness in the hospital. Shortly after they move in to their home, they discover they are not alone and that there are Soot Gremlins in their attic.  They also come to find that there are Totoros in the near by forest.  Now a totoro is a wonderful woodland animal full of magic.  The two girls become friends with the totoros and have some amazing adventures together.
   The animation in this film is so beautiful and the characters are so charming you will be drawn in from the very beginning.  As you can see by the picture, this film features the voice talents of Dakota and Elle Fanning as the sisters Mei and Satsuki.  As you may be able to tell, I am not an Anime purist or I would have linked to the original Japanese version and told you that the only acceptable way to view this film is with subtitles.  I have done both, and I honestly prefer the English voice track with Elle and Dakota.
   This film is just enchanting all around, no matter what your age.  I have watched it many times and it never fails to bring a smile to my face, I hope it will do the same for you.

No comments: