Sunday, January 30, 2011

Soapbox time


   Due to some unfortunate issues with Hubs computer, we found ourself at the Fashion Mall in Indy.  More specifically, he found himself in the Apple store and I wandered and did some people watching.  Now, let me preface this by saying that I am rather fond of many of their stores and have found the people working there to be very accommodating and friendly. However, I couldn't help but make some observations, mainly about the shoppers and fashion in general.  First and foremost-this is 2011-sweat suits, Uggs and a canvas Coach bag do not qualify as fashion.  Sweat suits have their place, and that place is in a gym.  There are so many people who have all the right labels, but have no taste.  Don't get me wrong, I have been known to drool a bit over Burberry adds, but it is the design-not the logo that makes the clothes.  Fashion is meant to be self expression.  Fashion is risk.  It is the beautiful and the absurd.  It is knowing that there is rarely an original thought, but trying anyway.  Try.  Try and fail.  An original failure is still better than a cheep imitation.

No comments: