Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Virtual Fall Feast!

I'm so excited to be participating in Baking Bad's Virtual Fall Feast!  My contribution is my favorite Thanksgiving salad.  It was originally published on Goop.com, but I have made a few changes to fit my tastes.

Mixed Greens with Goat Cheese and Pecans.


SERVES: 10 to 12
TIME: 10 minutes

 (Maple Dijon Dressing)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
3 Tablespoons real maple syrup
1/3 red wine vinegar
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
coarse sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

(Mixed Greens)
2 Large heads of endive, washed, chopped
1  large head radicchio, washed, chopped
4 large handfuls arugula, washed
1 1/3 cup goat cheese
3/4 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
3/4 cup dried cranberries

For the dressing:
  Mix garlic, mustard, maple syrup, vinegar and salt/pepper together.
 Slowly whisk in olive oil.
For the Salad:
  Toss your greens together and divide up into salad bowls.  Sprinkle
each salad with cheese, pecans and cranberries.  Dress with Maple
Dijon dressing.

Notes:
  Feel free to substitute a bag/box of "baby mixed greens" for the
endive and arugula.  Also, to make the salad extra special, drizzle
pecan halves with real maple syrup before toasting them.  Chop and add
to salad as directed.  This is especially yummy with left over
thanksgiving turkey mixed in.

12 comments:

Apron Appeal said...

You know I hear about endive and arugula all over food network and blogosphere but I can never find it in the store? Where do you get it? I'm a hoosier too, so I'm hopin' to learn the secrets of this town.

spicegirl said...

This salad looks fantastic. I've been looking for something with greens to add to my Thanksgiving spread. The maple dijon dressing has my mouth watering.

Moore or Less Cooking said...

I am your newest follower! Your salad looks so great. I am going to make this!! Moore or Less Cooking.

Nettie

Claire said...

@Apron Appeal
I usually find arugula in the plastic boxed lettuces and endive is usually tucked in with the leaf lettuces somewhere. Meijer & Marsh usually carry them both. Also a lot of the boxed "mixed greens" will have them both with some other pretty lettuces. Best of luck!

Claire said...

@Spicegirl
Thank you! The dressing is definitely my favorite part, it makes any salad special :)

Claire said...

@Moore of Less
Thank you for following! I hope you enjoy the salad as much as I do :)

Delicious Dishings said...

This salad sounds wonderful... perfect for the fall!

Elle Sees said...

this looks delish!

Marisa A. said...

Yummmmm, i love me some goat cheese!

Brent said...

I might try this salad with baby spinach in place of the endive and radicchio. It sounds delicious though.

Claire said...

Thanks so much everyone!

Anonymous said...

Hi from Style Outside The Box! We have checked out your Blog and would love to invite you to do a swap with us the Holiday Season! Please check us out and if you are interested we can be reached at Kate@Styleoutsidethebox.com!
I hope to hear from you! :)