Friday, May 13, 2011

Friday Flix - Featuring Brent from Random Dude Eats Random Food

   As you may know, for the past few months I have been kicking off the weekend with Friday Flix-a weekly blurb about a movie I think is awesome and therefore believe everyone should see.  Well, we are mixing things up a bit this week as I have my first guest blogger!  Yes, it's true!  Brent from Random Dude Eats Random Food will be providing this weeks Flix.  In addition to blogging about awesome food finds, Brent is also quite the movie buff.  As we see eye to eye on the matter of super hero films, I feel the Flix are in good hands. 

[brent+bartending.jpg] 
                                      
   I'm not the type of person that goes to a lot of movies.  Don't get me wrong.  I love a good flick, but ticket prices these days are borderline outrageous.  However, there are exceptions to every rule, and being that I am a male between the ages of 18-35 there isn't much I wouldn't endure to see an awesome superhero movie.  I got the chance last weekend with Marvel Studios' Thor
   Out of all the heroes in the popular Marvel Comic lineup Thor may not be one that everyone is the most familiar with.  Sure he is a member of the superhero team The Avengers, but nowhere near as well known as his counterparts such as Iron Man, Captain America or The Incredible Hulk.    Going in I knew that Thor was based on the god of thunder in Norse mythology, and I knew his weapon of choice was his magical warhammer, Mjolnir, but other than that I was somewhat clueless.  But sometimes with comic book movies not knowing the years of backstory can be a really good thing.  I was really able to let the movie present to me the origin story and characters with finding it boring or unable to live up to preconceptions.  Overall, I think the film is incredibly well done.  The material is written and acted in such a way as to bring in newcomers or those who might be weirded out by superheroes or stories involving myth and magic.  There's action, humor, and yes even a wee bit of love story.  All in all a good way to kick of the Summer movie season.  Oh and Captain America and Green Lantern are coming out later this year so if you dig guys in costumes kicking ass...get ya popcorn ready.


 

2 comments:

INdy Girl in Love said...

Brent, that is totally not how I pictured you! haha, I'm not sure I'll see Thor before it slips out of theaters but it will for sure be on my Red Box bucket list.

Brent said...

In case you were wondering Im actually the one in the armor holding the hammer.